Como Lake is a stunningly beautiful area in northern Italy that is famous for its breathtaking landscapes, charming towns, and stunning villas. Here are some of the top things to visit when you’re in the area:
- Villa Carlotta: This beautiful villa is located in the town of Tremezzo and features beautiful gardens, a museum, and stunning views of the lake. The villa is also home to an impressive art collection, including works by Canova and Hayez.
- Bellagio: This charming town is located at the tip of the peninsula where Lake Como splits into two branches. It is famous for its picturesque streets, beautiful villas, and stunning views of the lake.
- Como Cathedral: This beautiful cathedral is located in the city of Como and features a stunning Gothic façade, intricate stone carvings, and beautiful stained glass windows. It is also home to a museum that showcases the history of the cathedral and the city.
- Villa del Balbianello: This beautiful villa is located on a promontory on the western shore of Lake Como and features beautiful gardens, stunning views of the lake, and a collection of art and artifacts from around the world.
- Brunate: This charming hillside town is located above Como and offers stunning views of the lake and the surrounding mountains. It is accessible by a funicular railway that runs from the city center of Como.
- Varenna: This picturesque town is located on the eastern shore of Lake Como and is famous for its narrow streets, charming harbor, and beautiful villas.
- Isola Comacina: This small island is located in the middle of Lake Como and is home to the remains of an ancient Roman settlement, as well as a number of beautiful gardens and villas.
Overall, Como Lake is a stunningly beautiful area that is well worth a visit. Whether you’re interested in history, art, or just want to relax and take in the stunning scenery, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Lake Como and the town of Como are situated just 50 minutes away from Milan. While it is possible to explore the lake by car, a more enjoyable option is to purchase ferry tickets and traverse the lake by ferry.
Ferry cost 15 € per person per day. The option is to visit – Menaggio, Bellagio and Varenna.
Below is the schedule for the ferry:
In Tremmezzo, you can find the fantastic winery Cantina Follie, while in Varenna, don’t miss out on the delightful gelateria, La Passerella, or the charming Osteria Quatro Pass.
Como is a charming town located on the shores of Lake Como, one of the most beautiful lakes in Italy. Here are some of the top things to see and do in Como:
- Como Cathedral: This beautiful cathedral dates back to the 14th century and features a mix of Gothic and Renaissance styles. Be sure to climb to the top of the bell tower for stunning views of the city and the lake.
- Brunate Funicular: Take a ride on the funicular up to the charming village of Brunate, located on the hillside above Como. The views of the lake and the surrounding mountains are spectacular.
- Villa Olmo: This neoclassical villa is located on the shores of Lake Como and features beautiful gardens and stunning views of the lake.
- Piazza Cavour: This beautiful square is located in the heart of Como and is a great place to people-watch and soak up the atmosphere of the city.
- Tempio Voltiano: This museum is dedicated to the life and work of Alessandro Volta, the inventor of the electric battery. The museum features interactive exhibits and a collection of Volta’s scientific instruments.
- Como-Brunate Bike Trail: Rent a bike and take a ride along the scenic bike trail that runs between Como and Brunate. The trail is mostly flat and offers beautiful views of the lake and the surrounding hills.
- Como Silk Museum: Como has a long history of silk production, and this museum showcases the city’s silk-making traditions. Visitors can see demonstrations of silk weaving and learn about the history of silk production in Como.
Overall, Como is a beautiful and charming town with plenty of history, culture, and natural beauty to explore. Whether you’re interested in art, history, or outdoor activities, there’s something for everyone in this picturesque town.
Image by wirestock on Freepik